Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A-Z Challenge- Letter Z is for ZEPPOLE!

YAY! We made it. I can't believe it.  For my very last A-Z post and letter Z recipe, I chose one of my all time favorite Italian fun desserts to eat- zeppole! Almost every pizza place you walk into in New Jersey, has zeppole on their menu. The only problem with that is, I'm a bit of a zeppole snob. I blame it on my G-ma. She makes the BEST fresh zeppole in the world. I am gifting you all with her recipe.

Grandma spoils just about everything Italian for me to order out, because nothing ever tastes quite as good as her Italian food. G'ma's favorite ingredient is love. Everything single thing she makes, just  tastes better. There is no comparison to that, LOL.
My Grandma and Grandpa! Aren't they cute?
Thanks so much to all of the support, and new followers and wonderful comments. Big thanks to Miss Faraway Eyes for highlighting me on her blog and to Alex J. Cavanaugh for commenting every single day! It always makes me smile when I hear my phone notify me of comments! Thanks so much everyone. 

Ingredients:

2 yeast packets
2 cups warm water
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp. oil
4 cups of flour
A heaping cup of LOVE

Mix in one cup of the flour at a time into the first four ingredients. Let rise 1/2 hour to an hour.  Take about 2 oz with fingers and drop into oil in deep fryer until golden. (use the recommended amount of oil the deep fryer suggests) Remove with slotted spoon. Place on paper towels and try to keep grandchildren's hands off zeppoles while they are still so hot. While zeppole are still hot, sprinkle with powdered sugar or my favorite trick- place zeppole in individual paper bags filled with powered sugar, so each grandchild can shake their own without burning their fingers! Then, mangia...(eat)


4 comments:

  1. Ding! You have comment.
    Zeppole snob. Don't think I've ever eaten it.
    Congratulations on completing the Challenge and making new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure I have never tried zeppole but it sounds num-nummy.

    Isn't Alex the best? I don't know he comments on so many blogs every single day. I guess that's why they call him the ninja!!! (He also reminds me of Santa Claus - flying around the world and visiting every single house.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did you make it to Z, but you did a wonderful job of it.

    Another fabulous recipe that I will have to try.

    It really has been fun to follow you thus month and try out some if you great eats. I hope you keep blogging and cooking. I'll be looking for a postcard from Italy in about 4 years also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to meet you Faith! I've been slow this month, but glad I figured out you had a blog that I could visit!

    I love your mom's blog. She's so fun and real, I feel like I'm stopping by and visiting a friend. I see you're so much like that amazing mom of yours! Smart, funny, and full of heart.

    I'll have to check out all the rest of the recipes!

    ReplyDelete