Friday, April 10, 2015

I is for Instant Mashed Potatoes

Eww. That's all that needs to be said.
The bleak color. The foul, dry flakes. The nothing smell. That is what I used to think of instant mashed potatoes. I used to have no life and did nothing except my homework and cook. But now between TONS of homework, sports, clubs, youth group and even more homework, (and when I can squeeze them in, my friends) I have a lot less time to make mashed potatoes from scratch.

A  huge time saver.
When I come home and am requested to make dinner and I know  I have 6+ hours of homework, I really don't feel like boiling potatoes, then peeling and then mashing them. So sadly I have resorted to the flaky potatoes. Believe it or not, but those faux mashed potatoes are actually starting to grow on me.

I would like to provide you guys with a great, set recipe from start to finish, but I don't really have one. I throw in a ton of stuff and keep tasting and throwing in more stuff until I make those dry flakes palatable.

The absolutely essential wet ingredients I always use are: real butter, milk, half & half, cheese, sour cream, and even a shot or two of ranch dressing. Now, let's talk about dry ingredients. I don't go cheap on the seasonings because potato flakes need all the help they can get :) Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion flakes, parsley, and a mixture of different ground peppercorn are a must. There are many other things I can throw in with these potatoes to help fix them up, but these are my favorite.

What do you throw in with your mashed potatoes? Are you an instant mashed potato hater or fan? Who makes the best mashed potatoes in your family?

8 comments:

  1. I lived in Idaho for years and even though those famous instant mashed potatoes are called 'Idahoan'; it's almost a sin to use instant when you live there. Having said that, I have used them, but don't really care for the taste. Of course, your recipe sounds really good. I may have to try it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate that my family; (in my Italian house) it is a sin to use jar sauce. I completely agree with you, real potatoes over fake every time!

      Delete
  2. Make them palatable - that made me chuckle. I'd have to toss in a lot of spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do have to make them palatable! That is indeed why you need all of the spices because those potato flakes really taste like nothing.

      Delete
  3. I like your new format. Not sure about the blue background though. It may be too dark.

    And although I prefer real mashed potatoes, when you make the instant and throw all of that stuff in there, you can hardly tell they are fake. You always make the yummiest potatoes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Philly Cream Cheese in mashed potatoes. Very delicious!
    http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. I will have to try that sometime!

      Delete
    2. That is a good idea. I will have to try that sometime!

      Delete